Friday, July 11, 2008

Race Day

Before the big race started
Jorge and his running buddy (a 67 year old!)
We finished!
For the past 4 years I have ran in the 10k before the parade in Provo on the 4th of July. This year for some crazy idea Jorge decided he wanted to do it too. Keep in mind Jorge hasn't run in a couple of years and he's never ran over 3 miles in his life, let alone 6.2! Jorge was so excited for this he could hardly sleep. He was asking me for running tips and went out and got all of the gear he would need, and the whole time I was thinking to myself that there was no chance he would finish.
The morning of the 4th we got up at 6:15 and my dad drove us to Provo for the race, that started at 7. This is one of the hardest races I have done because you start and end on pretty steep hills. I started out too fast and paid for it pretty quickly. I had a really bad cold and couldn't breath very well then add a totally different altitude then what I'm used to running in and I was hurting. I didn't think I was going to make it but I managed to finish in 49 min, had it been a minute longer i would have died right there. I was pretty disapointed with my time but was just happy I finished.
Jorge decided to start out at a slower pace and paced himself really well through the race. He found someone with his pace and struck up a conversation (its funny that it happened to be a 67 year old man!) they talked and enjoyed their time together and when they finished they gave each other a big hug. Jorge finished in 1 hour and 18 minutes! He felt great and didn't stop for water or to walk. I am so proud of him for doing this, anything he puts his mind to he accomplishes, even the impossible! We were both pretty sore the next day but he's already training for a 10k on the 24th of July!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

You guys are AWESOME! If I am there I will run it with you. That would be so much fun. I might have to run at Jorge's pace and find some old guy to keep up with but all that matters is that you finish right. I can't believe your disappointed with 49 minutes. You are amazing. When are you headed back to Cali? We just got back today and I will be here until Danny gets things set up. So call me when you get back so we can get together and you can give me the low down on Utah.

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the race! I'd be passed out by 2 miles, I think! I cannot believe that he didn't stop for water or a break. Wow.

Lisa said...

congratulations!!!
That is so great that both of you got to run and that you finished!!!
Can't wait for you guys to get back, I'm glad you are having a great time with family.

Raimi said...

WOW! I am impressed with the both of you! way to stick with it & finish the race. I hope you are feeling better.

Michael and Kari said...

You go guys! You're both amazing for doing that. Holly, I don't know what you're smoking, because that time is great! You're way too critical of yourself sometimes. Jorge - I can't believe you can just crack out a run like that if you feel like it. Some of us really have to work up to that!